Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Love PBS

I have been watching less and less TV these days.  I don't feel most of it is worth my time anymore.  But, often when I flip through the few channels that I still get (I only have the most basic cable now), I land on PBS and find something wonderful.  (I should mention that Sunday night has always been my favorite TV night because of 'Masterpiece Theater' and 'Mystery.')

The other night I stumbled upon a great program called 'The Artist Toolbox.'  It's basically a show where the host interviews artists from various fields of creative endeavor–– the violinist David Garrett, Jason Alexander, the actor–– designers, dancers, painters, and more.

The program I saw featured Isabel Allende, the Chilean-American novelist. She is a very graceful woman, who speaks quietly and eloquently about her passion for stories and writing.  I was immediately drawn in and fascinated by the power of her presence on the screen.  I am anxious now to read one of her books.  I think I'll start with Daughter of Fortune.  I have always been intrigued by its cover, and have picked it up and looked at it several times in the bookstore.  (Actually, I'll check the library first.)

The host of the show, John Jacobsen, who, with his broad face and mop of hair, looks like he should be related to the Kennedys, does an excellent job.  His questions seemed more thoughtful and original than many interviewers, and he managed to elicit some very enlightening answers.

This is a great show for anyone who is interested in the creative process, which to me, has always been such a fascinating mystery.


No comments:

Post a Comment