Sunday, January 22, 2012

My 'Dumpling Day' Got Snowed On

Well, I tried.  I was totally prepared to walk around blustery Cambridge so I was wearing sensible layers of clothing, my down coat, my warm boots, my shearling mittens.  I had my ticket in my purse.

I brushed the snow off my car and off I went.  I was going to take the train down to Boston, then the Red Line to Cambridge, for Grace Lin's book launch party for her new book, Dumpling Days.  I'd been planning it for weeks.


I needed to make a couple of stops in town before driving to the train station, but...  I never made it to the train.  The roads were so slick that my car wasn't getting any traction and I was sliding around corners.  In mid-skid the "Service Engine" light went on, so I thought, "Uh-oh, that's not good."

I drove another couple of miles toward the train station and decided the wisest thing to do was to turn around and go home.  I was worried about my car, about sliding into a ditch–– and I was worried that some other car would crash into me.  Why are there always crazy people on the road who drive way too fast in a snow storm?

Well, life is full of little disappointments.  I'm very sorry I didn't make it yesterday to the book launch party, but maybe I'll still get a chance to attend one of her events in the future.  Hopefully, the next one will be in the summer!

PS:  You can visit Grace's blog to see all the fun (and the goodie bag!) that I missed.   :(


At least the snow is pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment