Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions

I never liked the idea of making New Year's resolutions.  Too often they seem doomed to fail, and then you feel defeated.  I much prefer to have goals.  Goals are more reasonable; you can work toward them slowly, and then even if you don't fully succeed, you can feel good that you have made progress.

This year my goal is to push myself further beyond the boundaries of my quiet, introverted 'comfort zone.'  MouseSqueaks was a huge step for me, and as it turns out–– it's really fun.  But it seems far less daunting than actually going out to schools and libraries and introducing myself, with a copy of Angus MacMouse in hand.  (And that's exactly what authors have to do these days.  Unless you are already well-known, publishers don't have the time, staff, or money to promote your book for you.)

I've been making excuses for months, and the silly thing is, I know that once I have done it, I'll realize that it wasn't so difficult or painful after all.  People are invariably very nice and happy to help.  So, why is this so hard?

I should follow the example of my own character, Angus MacMouse, who despite his diminutive stature, didn't let anything stop him from doing what he needed to do.

I'll let you know in a few weeks if I've made any progress.

In the meantime, I wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year!  As John Lennon wrote in his song, War Is Over :  "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear."


No comments:

Post a Comment